Reading is useless, I don’t need this to succeed. This is how I felt about reading for many years. I hated reading, the reason was because I was below the average reading level. This really affected my views on education, and how I fit in with the rest of the world. When I was in second grade I was reading at a first grade or kinder gardening level. Since my reading level was so low I avoided reading in class. Despite my low reading ability I was promoted to the next grade.
It wasn’t until I was in fourth grade that my teacher Mrs. Weinberg called on me everyday in class to read handouts and passages in the book. She didn’t care that it took me a longer time to figure out words. She always motivated me to do better. Mrs. Weinberg was my first teacher that believed in me and actually brought to my attention that I could do better if I just practice.
She contacted my parents and told them about her concerns. Immediately my parents rearranged their schedule and ordered many reading aids such as Hooked on Phonics. My parents also sent me to Sullivan for awhile to better my reading skills. I remember coming home from school everyday putting in hours to better my reading. I even dedicated my weekends to reading. I use to come home from school and do three hours of Hooked on Phonics, and on the weekends I did six hours. I followed this routine up until the summer before sixth grade. This is when my parents enrolled me in The University of Chicago Office of Special Program Upward Bound. I attended Office of Special Program (OSP) for the summer and the fall sessions. So, I was in school for about eleven months out of the year.
When I graduated from grammar school I was noticed as one of the students with the best grades, and I was reading at an eleven grade level. This was ironic to me that I started my academic career behind the curve. When it was time for me to start a new chapter in my academic career, I was at the top. I would have never made it to the top if it wasn’t for the help of my parents. Their concerns and assistance in helping me better my reading ability. Currently I am still reading at a level above the average senior.
This experience taught me a lesson that I still live by until this day. This is why I believe hard work is the only way to succeed. This was perfectly stated by Fredrick Douglas, when he said “ without struggle there is no progress.” This is a quote that I believe with all of my heart, and try to exemplify in the way I carry myself. This hardship that I experience gave me the tools that I need to succeed in the future, such as determination, work ethic, and the desire to never settle for less than greatness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment