I was awoken by the O’Jays and the rumbling of suitcases. I could hear the voices of my mother, grandparents, and Uncle Poochie. It was five o’ clock in the morning, and we had to be there early. “Kids, it’s time!” My grandfather’s voice ascends up the stairway to the rooms, or guestrooms, as my grandmother would put it. My grandparents’ house was like a sentient being, full of stories and history. Objects put in one place always wound up in a different place. Dishes were always, always in the sink, and you always sensed an aura of love, wisdom, and tender loving care here. Even though I live with my mother and siblings in another house, I will always feel that my home is there, at 7552 S. Chappel Ave. I rised out of bed, put in a good two minutes of stretching and yawning, and then got my little sister and brother up. My grandfather’s voice came up the stairs again, but there was no need, because I already knew what he about to say. “Ya got 10 minutes!” Ten minutes… that was always the set time to get ready; get out of bed, brush your teeth, get your clothes on. But even though ten minutes was always said, we usually got twenty.
By the time we made it downstairs, all luggage was outside in the car, and auntie Livie and three of my cousins had now arrived. Everyone was now present and accounted for, it was now 5:45 AM, and time of the essence. We arrived at O’Hare airport at 6:30 AM, the flight to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida was departing at 8:15 AM, and it would take a good forty-five minutes to get through security checks. As the plane took off into the sky, my expectations began to build, imagination soaring. Another destination. Another trip, another adventure. The carnival cruise to the Virgin Islands had been planned for about eight months. Big family vacations were always planned about every two years, and I was always geeked for them… in a cool sort of way. I loved to travel. That suspenseful feeling of what you’re going to witness in a new, foreign land. That Indiana Jones, Lewis & Clark felling of adventure; but this feeling was just the start. The true bonus, the sweet center, was that I would be enjoying this with my family. My foundation, my inspiration. My #1 band and fans. My center of the universe.
I believe in family. The first, pure form of government. Mankind’s tether to true happiness, companionship, and fellowship. Human life is not meant to be one of solitude. Hell, the average human being needs about ten forms of physical contact a day. I wake up every day and feel blessed that I know and have a group of people who care about me, and would do anything for me. That is the beauty and magic of a real family. One that supports you, inspires you to be better. One that teaches you morals and principles that will take place in your own character. My family has taught me how to be a man, self-control, maturity, and humility, but most importantly, they have simply believed in me. This I believe.
Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment