When I first played volleyball I was just a freshman in high school. It was then I felt a sense of Déjà vu while playing the game. Although I had only been playing this wonderful game for only a few weeks, it hit me that I was playing the game of life.
In volleyball there are six main players on the court in which I consider those players to be immediate family or close friends. The strong hitters, the middle players and two setters are the essential positions on the court and have a significant purpose as well as the major people in your life. These six players are your backbone, the supportive system that everyone contains in life. Then there is the symbolic figure called the net which acts as a shield between you and life. On the other side of the net is the team called “Life.” The key to this game called life is not to let the ball drop on your team’s side. The ball is also a vital part in this game. I like to think of the ball as my dreams and aspirations, shooting for reality when it flies over the net. However, there is the other team, life, which sometimes bumps it right back onto our home side.
I have related this game to my life due to past experiences. For instance, when I was tried out for the Kenwood Academy high school volleyball team, I had reason to believe that my spot on the team was at stake. All while at practice my coach was hollering and yelling at me because I did not make all my overhand serves. She kept making indirect comments that she was intending on making more cuts. However, I spoke with my mother, grandmother, father and other supportive family members about this matter. My mother asked me how bad I wanted to be on the team. I told her that I have always dreamed about being apart of a volleyball team. She responded by telling me that, “the only person to hold back your dreams is you.” I took that into deep consideration and decided to work hard and strive for the best. In the end I ended up with a starting position on the court and I was an active volleyball player all four years of my high school career.
Many say life throws curve balls however, I feel that life throws you high balls that may sometimes be out of reach. But like the old saying goes, what comes up must come down, which allows you and your support a chance to bump, set, and spike it right back into life’s reality.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment