Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Power of Man by Brock Massie

Waking up to the sounds of a woman in pain was once nothing out of the ordinary for me. It seemed to be just another early morning routine until an annoying pain turned into an agonizing battle for survival. As my mother twisted and turned, her headache continued to ail her and no amount of aspirin would ease her pain. When it was apparent there was nothing more that could be done, an ambulance was called to take my mother to the emergency room. As she lay in the bed suffering from a pain unimaginable, all I could do was hope and wait that things would get better. Before the medics took her away, my mom gave me a reassuring smile as if to say “everything is going to be alright”.
I believe in the power of man. I believe there is strength inside of all of us that give us the will and determination to overcome adversity. At the time of my mother’s aneurism, I was only twelve but I had always known my mom to be a woman of strength and endurance. She had faced many problems and gone through many things in her life but nothing could phase her. Seeing my mother struggle with this pain was new to me. She had never before been this weak from a problem and it gave me much doubt about what would happen to my mother. I remained hopeful but I knew if my mother showed pain that something must have been going wrong. Such an experience changed my perception of life as a whole. Life cannot always be in our control and it can end at a moment’s notice. However, those that show persistence and determination in the face of trials and controversy have the ability to endure through anything. My mother battled for much time and she was able to pull through. After she recovered from her aneurism, the doctors told my family had it not been for her strength, my mother may not have been one of lucky ones.
I have a certain lust for life. I want to, one day, grow older and become a successful human being. To accomplish my goals, I know there are certain tasks and challenges that I must face first. Obstacles will come forth and I know it is up to me to decide if I will run away or face them. Everyone has a certain power inside of them that gives them the drive to accomplish all things imaginable. If I use the strength that I possess inside of me I know I can do almost anything. My mother dealt with one of the biggest problems anyone could ever face in their lifetime. If she can face such an obstacle and overcome the trauma that she went through to return to living a normal life, I know we all can accomplish great things. I believe we all have strength inside of us and it is up to us to exercise our will to endure.

No comments:

Post a Comment