When I was younger I wanted to do everything, sing, golf, play baseball, even dance. However, when I opened my mouth to sing my favorite song; an unpleasant tune came out and my mom will abruptly stop me and say, “Girl be quiet!” I tried to play golf but I did not have a strong arm; the ball stayed right in front of me. Baseball was hard I could never see the baseball especially when the sun was out. Now dancing was different. When I moved, I put all my strength and heart in one movement. I could dance! Dance is my life.
I believe in the power of dance. I believe in the power of conveying my struggle through movement. I believe in the power of conveying my joy and most of all the testament of my life through dance. Dance is my therapy, I dance for relief. Dance for me is my voice. Dance became my art; my way of living.
My life is on center stage everyday. There have been moments in my life; many obstacles that I have danced my self through or many triumphant times I just wanted to do a victory dance.
I picture my life as a long dance routine. I am on the stage, hearing the crowd, and the lights are on. Everything in my room is the audience. I think about the fight me and my mom just had over my inconsiderate teenage ways. I think about the boy I was in love with that broke my heart and how it seems that I will never love again. Then, I just think about my frustrations of just getting through everyday. Now, the curtains are up! I start to dance. Dance my way through the pain. I do a turn for every friend that backed stabbed me; signifying my lesson well learned that friends come and go. I leap and jump as high as I can to resemble my success that will fly me away without the help of my dad, who has never assisted me in the trial we call life. I throw my arms around imagining that all these heartaches, trials, and tribulations will go away. Every time I felt alone, every time I knew I would get into trouble when I got home; times like this exploded the artistic side out of me. So I continue to dance, the crowd is still watching. All of a sudden I fall. When I fall I start to think more of the good times of life. I think about how God wakes me up each day, that yesterday I was not a Chicago Public School Student who got shot. I think about how my mom who is a strong woman of God loves me despite my inconsiderate teenage ways. I think about my lust, the need, to be successful. So I get up!
I consider where I am in life and where I could be. This time I dance with a smile because I remember those things that I am thankful for. The crowd claps while I exude my cheerful spirit. I dance to show people that I am crying inside but dancing is my way of letting it out. When I dance I want to reach out my hand and touch my crowd heart and let them know it is okay to cry out. I jump around to let my crowd know there are victories after all obstacles of life.
The dance is over the curtains fall. I have restored my hope in love and in life. I begin to think about how God has purposefully made me. Dance is my purpose; to touch the lives of others by conveying my life story through dance. Dance is my life and I have no doubt, there is power in dance.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment