Dazedly wandering through gardens of ignorance and confusion has left me bereft with a thirst to understand the world. The bad tidings and misfortunes often assuaged by man have created a universal complexity that I often find myself caught up in. The density and depth to which all people owe their beliefs has become so convoluted and mislaid that even I find myself lost among the found, deaf among the hearing, and weakened severely with no cure to purify my shortcomings. However, even with all of this I find myself able to believe in one solid revelation to which its dexterity needs no aid or interruption. This belief, this truth allows me to breathe without suffocating and it all started with a children’s book.
Robinhood stared back at me through the roughly drawn picture, almost daring me to contest his equalitarian edict. The paper so rough and thick between my fingers, taunting me to release the book, became my own personal torture. The pleasure and pain kind though. It is the bittersweet, the kind demon, and the hellish paradise. I remember flipping the pages as my eyes ran across the vibrant colors of the woods Robinhood ran through and hid in. I remember the thoughts I had as he took from the rich and gave to the poor. Why write such stories of bravery and sin and innocence if our society allows for nothing as synonymous? Why advertise true morality if we taught ethics? The story of Robinhood instilled in me a truth that overcomes and outshines all of mans beliefs and laws and it is simply because it is bigger than all of those things. This truth is bigger than life and the world because its origins generate an existing path that stretches all the way from the beginning of everything. We are different and yet the same and one mans truth is another’s lie.
In short we are contradictious of our beliefs and our laws and it is our nature. Maybe a weakness to some and perhaps a strength to others. Still, even greater is that fact that the Earth is just the same. It is alive only to one day die just as it promotes existence to creatures that bring its decay, its downfall. There has always been darkness within light, wrongs within rights and endings made of beginnings. Robinhood’s actions are no different than a man stealing bread for his family or a murderer helping an old lady cross the street. The contradictious nature of this world allows for such things and I am ecstatic for it. I believe that it is the incongruent relationships between opposites and how they posses a trait of one another that keeps this world from collapsing. If everything was perfect and succinct and exact then humans would not exist. Good and evil would be myths and characters such as Robinhood would never be known. The world could never be beautiful because there was never an ugly. I believe the faults and shortcomings of nature are essential to life. I believe the world to be imperfect and although there are negatives to every positive there is also room for change. This is what I believe.
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment