Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Faith: Believing in Believing by Savion Willis

Savion Willis p.1 English IV



“Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen.” I believe that in our darkest days and our darkest hours, faith s necessary. To me faith is deep down in everyone’s heart and soul. Some people have a hard time bringing their faith out. Some people have a surplus of faith and can almost seem too confident. But confidence has no budget. It just depends on what fits a certain persons personality. The key is the fact that faith can be placed in so many things: God, family, friends, and especially ourselves. At a young age it took me a while to understand faith, but through some events in my life I started to realize how important faith is.
Depending on the diversity of many people’s situations it very well could be hard to demonstrate faith. As far as my situation, I was too young to understand fully the concept faith. But as I got older there were various events in my life that in certain junctures of life you need faith. Some of these important events include something as small as even just watching a Bulls game at a young age in 1998. The Bulls were down 84-87, with about 40 seconds left in the game. Many members of my family that were watching the game had lost all hope. But I can still remember my grandfathers voice in the background saying, “Have faith, I know they gonna win this game.” The Bulls would go on to score four straight points to win the game and the National Basketball Association Championship. After that I definitely had a small idea of how having faith and believing in something or someone can bring you such a long way even in non-important situations.
Another significant event in my life that increased my faith and let me know exactly what faith was, was my uncle going into emergency heart surgery. At the time, I of course, still didn’t fully know and have a lot of faith. My uncle who is a reverend was doing fine at the time as all of my family was at the time. Until a Wednesday night after school mom called me into her room to tell me that m uncle had to go to the emergency room and currently was in surgery and had a fifty/fifty chance to live. At my age emotions stayed inside as they still do. Some of my family members began scrambling around trying to figure out what to do. But as I sat there I could remember my uncle always saying, “In tuff times you always got to have faith, and believe that your going to make it out of that situation. So while he was still in the hospital, I prayed and didn’t panic mentally. After I prayed there was no doubt in my mind that he would get out of the situation. Just a day or two later the doctors told us that my uncle would make it. There is no doubt in my mind that had I not had any faith at all, I would’ve folded long ago.
Now, I believe in faith. It is essential to our everyday life in almost ever situation imaginable. Whether the situation is small or large, we all need at least a little faith. Faith can result in a few different qualities including confidence and plain belief. The bottom line is the fact that to achieve the highest goals in life you need faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment