Everyday second of the day, someone in the world is being judged. Being judged on their race, creed, color, religion, and other things that make up their existence. One aspect that is judged but never truly talked about is homosexuality. People are bashed, out-casted, and even killed because of their sexuality. No one should be killed or judged for their sexuality or anything that makes them who they are. Homosexuals are looked upon as monsters, people with a disease, and people who are not really people at all. I know and believe that homosexuals are human beings. I believe this, because I am a homosexual, and a human as well.
I have always been a lesbian, even if I, myself, did not realize it from the beginning. When I was a young girl I always thought girls were gross and I did not want to have anything to do with them. I never played with dolls like the other girls my age. I quit my ballet lessons after my first class because I pretended that I was not amused by the gracefulness of the dance. Although, in reality I did not want to be around girls, even though I was a girl myself. Secretly I was in love with them.
Girls have always been beautiful creatures to me. They make my heart flutter, and I find myself short of breath when a pretty one comes up to talk to me. I find myself looking at the ground now, almost at the age of eighteen, just trying to catch my breath and not look or sound like a fool. Do they see that I am nervous? Do they see me as a person, a homosexual, or a monster?
My freshmen year of school I attended the University of Chicago Lab School where I was told in a nifty little brochure that, “Here at the Lab School we are diverse, friendly, and accept all people no matter who or what they are”. If this were true then why would I later find myself transferring back to Kenwood Academy High School because I was a victim of “Homosexual Bashing”? My locker so crudely covered in graffiti stating,“Die dyke”. “Dyke”. It hurts every time I hear that word. Whether it is being directed towards me, or someone else. It hurts more than being called “nigger”. Should I have let them run me away? Them being people in society that hate homosexuals and do not believe we are human beings just like them?
What would you say a homosexual is? Are they monsters, murderers, or rapists? Do they prey on your sons and daughters, waiting for the moment to pounce and spread their disease? Do they deserve to be harassed, beaten, and even murdered, just due to the mere fact that they hold hands with the person they love, who just so happens to be the same sex as them? We are human beings too. We have feelings, and emotions too. We are not invincible, and not immortal, but we too are humans.
Some people are born Jews, and they will stay Jews. Some people are born white, and they will always be white. The same goes for all races of people. They will never change. People never really change. Yes, they grow, evolve, and mature, but they never really change. I do not want to change who you are, so people should not tell me to change who I am. A homosexual. It is not because I will not change, it is because I cannot change.
Sometimes I forget that I am a lesbian. Just because it is a part of who I am. But I never forget the pain that is left after a person puts me down for being who I am. For being a human being, a homosexual. So in all this, I truly believe homosexuals are loving, caring, and mortal, human beings just like everyone else.
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love it, I feel the hurt and the pain in your voice almost as if you were speaking it yourself. It is very deep and it makes me realize how much it effects you. I really like it!
ReplyDelete- Jenn